Thursday, September 6, 2012

Week 2 CFB picks ATS

One week and a chance to learn a few things under our belt, so now time to take advantage.  This week certainly requires some research and more 'feel' than other times later in the season, but that is the fun of it right??  No reason to waste any time, so let's get to the picks.

Florida +2 @ Texas A&M.  Ok, I'm not as big of an SEC fan as Joker (not even sure that is possible actually), but I do respect the hell out of the football they play (how many BCS rings in a row?).  Based on that, I have to go with the Gators GETTING POINTS in the Aggies first SEC game.  Yes, I realize Florida has holes / inexperience, and I realize that A&M is solid, and at home for their first SEC game so they will be fired up, but I also realize that Florida has a lot of talent.  I admit, they didn't look great last year, or in week 1, but it is a process and I think settling on a QB is a big step in the right direction.  Just too much speed and talent for the Aggies to handle all day - even with the emotion.  Have to believe the Gators have a little chip on their shoulder that they are 'dogs' to the 'new guy'.  3 units.  Win.

Nebraska -5 @ UCLA.  Yep, another road team, but Bo can coach and these Huskers are solid!  Martinez may still be a wild card throwing, but he is still fast and they still have weapons.  I obviously hope Buckhead can go, but even without him I don't see the Husker offense being slowed down too much by UCLA.  The Bruins are certainly stepping up in class after beating Rice and I think that may be a challenge against a very solid Nebraska team laying less than a TD.  3.5 units.  Loss.

Arizona St. -3.5 v Illinois.  Ok, if you've followed me before, you realize that I often will bet for/against the same team back to back.  Either I see something I think I can take advantage of, or I'm just hard-headed and trying to will something to happen - your choice.  Either way, I'm still far from solid on the Illini.  A tough pick-6 cost me last week, but this game is on the road (never ILL's specialty) and the Sun Devils are better than Western.  I wish I would have jumped on this earlier when it was -1, but once I learned ILL's QB was less than healthy I had to jump on this - did you see their offense without him last week???  Guuuuu.....So since he is not likely to be close to 100% even if he plays, and they are on the road, I don't think the Illini can hang around with a decent (but far from great ASU squad.  2 units.  Win.

Vandy -3 @ Northwestern.  A lot of folks like this game, and I don't think that is an accident.  I am generally a fan of NWern, they play hard, but they just don't have too much talent.  It was mildly entertaining to watch them and the Orangemen run up and down the field against each other last week, but don't be confused to think either is very good.  Vandy played a very solid game and almost stole one from the Gamecocks at home and I think they'll be focused on getting their first victory - which will be an easier task this week.  The Dores are a good football team, but they play in the SEC (and have been bad for so long) that no one really pays attention.  I think they will show some people in their non-conference games like this.  2.5 units.  Loss.

La Tech -3 @ Houston.  Wow, even hard for me to believe that La Tech made it into my picks this year, but they have a solid, veteran group and even more so, this pick comes down to how bad Houston looks.  I don't think you can fix that in a single week.  The post-Case Cougars will continue to struggle; at home.  2 units.  Win.

So there you have week 2.  Definitely very interested in the Georgia @ MIZ game, and can't understand how UGA doesn't get a win - even in what will be one of the best CFB environments of the year in Columbia, but can't pull the trigger.  Also think USC just bludgeons the Cuse, but laying 26 on the road is tough.

Enjoy, and good luck!
CK

No comments:

Post a Comment